8 + 2 no-brainer tips for playing bastion
8 + 2 no-brainer tips for playing bastion
January 15, 2019
Bastion is one of the cheesiest, most annoying heroes in the realm of Overwatch, especially in lower SR games. However, there are multiple ways to use the hero’s strengths to your advantage against high skilled teams too.
This is our 8 + 2 no-brainer tips for Bastion so you can viably play him on maps apart from Junkertown.
- Bastion players who are staying stationary in turret form for longer periods are doing it wrong. Repositioning in-between team fights is really important to avoid being easily focused down. Also when it comes to playing Bastion on attack on maps like Route 66, you don’t want to stay on top of the cart at all times, move around, surprise your enemy.
- Running and gunning in Recon mode is underrated. You deal respectable damage and can heal yourself while moving around. On top of this, if you want to reload in Turret form, it is actually more efficient to switch to Recon form and switch back after a few seconds, as your configuration animation is actually faster than you reload animation.
- Your Self Repair is immensely useful in Turret form, as you already take 20% less damage. With a hard healer like Mercy, Ana or Moira healing you already, you can sustain insane damage if you put your Self-Repair on top of that. Even without a healer, you can sustain a full Reaper or Soldier:76 ultimate with Self Repair.
- One of your main objectives is to bust barriers, you want to focus on this before going for kills sometimes. After you destroyed that Reinhardt, Winston or Orisa barrier, you can actually move to a more aggressive position to be able to help your team more with focusing down key targets.
Hero specific tips
- When your Tank ultimate is active, you can rocketjump to high ground or over barriers to reach more targets. This is also useful to dodge certain abilities like McCree’s stun or Roadhog’s hook. This is an extremely useful technique to use.
- Think of Bastion as a Soldier:76 without the mobility, but with an ultimate that can arguably be more reliable in some situations. If the enemy is running a Reinhardt+Zarya lineup, for example, you can be comfortable picking him up on Attack or Control Point maps. Communicate with your team, this is important!
- Learn how to play against your main counters one versus one: Genji, Pharah, Tracer. First of all, communication is really important so you can ask for help, but when it comes to one versus one, against Genji you just want to bait out his deflect, after that he is an easy kill. Tracer is not a problem without her Pulse Bomb, pay attention to her timing and dodge it in Recon mode. Try to surprise Pharah, don’t stay stationary in obvious positions, hide in the corner and wait for her.
- Other heroes who are really strong versus Bastion are snipers, Hanzo and Widowmaker. The one and the only tank who is useful is D.va due to her Defense Matrix. When it comes to playing against snipers, you really want to avoid shooting them or even staying in their line of sight. Ask your team to deal with them and position yourself accordingly. D.va is annoying, but you can just stop shooting when she uses matrix and use Self Repair during that time.
- You want to self-heal between every shot in your ultimate Tank form. You can cancel the shooting animation and also heal up a bit after every shot. The timing can be a bit tricky to get used to, but this technique is really important to master.
- If the enemy team is running a Doomfist and he is using his Meteor Strike, don’t be afraid to stay stationary in your Turret form, as you will survive the damage thanks to the damage reduction.
Basically, the main thing about Bastion that most people don’t understand is that you really do want to move around and play in Recon mode a lot. Your submachine gun is actually more accurate than Soldier’s rifle (only if you can’t reliably burst shoot with him, though). The most important tip to master is communication with your team using voice chat, especially when playing Bastion on attack.
This guide is about securing your improvement by reviewing your game and learning from your losses. If you are doing the same mistakes again and again, we are going to explain how to overcome these obstacles and start climbing.
Players tend to go autopilot in Overwatch that hurts their performance. It’s important to know how to focus and not let your guard down, to be on top of your game in every match.
Introducing new heroes to the Tank and Support roles is always exciting, as they can completely shift the metagame and force players to change their playestyle entirely. Sigma is definitely not an easy hero to play on a top level, it requires great mechanics as well as game sense to truly excel at with this astrophysicist.